Pages

Wednesday 28 July 2021

Grit- Strength Spotting

 

Strength Spotting- Celebrity, Powerful, Sporting Stars and Ordinary Grit 

What you pay attention to is what expands! We have been thinking about inspirational people that have shown perseverance, passion and a pursuit to meet long term goals. We are learning how to spot and appreciate the qualities that make this authentic Grit. 


We also thought of a time when we were at our best. People who identify top strengths in positive ways throughout the day are happier and more successful in pursuit of goals.

Ethan B: I'm at my best when I was doing Cross Country because it was really hard and I got so tired and my legs were really hurting. I had to show Bravery and Perseverance because I had to keep going and I couldn't stop, but I finished and I did my best. I was at my best when I was doing Maths because it gets me really confused and I start to struggle. I showed Zest and Perseverance because it can get me really confused.

Paris: I did my best when I was writing my essay. The strength I used was confidence because sometimes I get overwhelmed when things are challenging.

Yoichi: I am at my best while writing my book because I can write whatever I want. And lots of ideas go through my head. But sometimes it is hard to write everything down and describe things. I am also very nervous when it comes to someone else reading my book. But it is very fun because I can write down my imagination. I always dream that someday I will publish my book and it will go in bookstores. I also love making up new characters and describing them and their personality. I am also at my best when I am playing video games because it is very entertaining. I especially love games where you can go wherever you want and adventure on the big map. Like a game called Sea of Thieves that I play where you have freedom. Also a game called Minecraft.

Sabine: I am at my best when I'm at drama class because I get to use my expression and my imagination. It's nice to interact with people you don't normally hang out with. It may be organised so it's a specific play but you can still have a play around with your characters emotions. (I especially feel at my best while doing Shakespeare plays). I use Character strengths like Zest, Perseverance, Bravery (For when I'm on stage) and also Creativity (When you have I chance to use your emotions and expressions, and play around with the characters).

Anastasiya: A time I was at my best would definitely be last term (Term 2) my artwork. I think I did pretty good, and I focused on detail and making it stand out but in a good way. I stuck to the theme of a beach or sea. I did get a little bit of help on ideas but I did the painting all by myself. I would love to take it home! I first made white figures but after that I sadly wasn’t able to finish it. I would have gradually started adding colour to my animal but to be honest I really like the way it is. The white figures actually give a unique feel about it. It’s mysterious as it has no details or special features, it's just the shape of a human. I used Perseverance when I made an ‘Ariel’ look alike, I kept going and didn’t give up!

Darragh: A time I was at my best was when I got up to the top of Makara mountain bike park and when I finished the welcome flat 2 day tramp in the West Coast. (At the end we got bitten by sand flies.) For both of these events I had to use Perseverance and Bravery.

Ella: I think one of the times I was at my best was when I was doing the Swim Sports. I got second and did all my races. That made me really happy. It was challenging to keep up with Lucy. I had to use strengths perseverance, zest... Another time I was at my best was at Eastern Zones XC in Year 4. I got to regionals but it was cancelled. Another time I was at my best was diving. I felt really good. I went up to the 7 metre. I learnt how to dive at Freyberg pool. I swim with a coach and other kids. I have been doing this for 2 terms. Another time I was at my best was learning how to do a front hand spring on the trampoline.

Liora: A time I am at my best is in my writing because it is when I can really be myself and do my best. The strengths that I used are Perseverance and belief because it makes me believe in myself. It is challenging for me because I might think I can't write a story or I can't think of something to write.

Soma: When I was at camp I felt scared. I was making a little fort. I never did it before. At the end I did it and I felt proud. This was a time that I was at my best. 

Oli: I'm at my best when I'm playing football. The character strengths that I use when playing football are Zest and Perseverance because I need to run and get the ball and to pass. I need to persevere to keep the ball so I can pass. I'm also at my best when I'm with my friends because I have a positive mindset.


Parent Workshop - Wholeperson Wellbeing / Positive Education - 
Thursday 5 August, 7pm to 8.30pm 

(Please be there around 6.50pm for a 7.00pm sharp start - lots to chat about!) 

This is our first 'in person' Parent Workshop since 2019, which is incredible to think about. All things going well (Levels-wise)..... it will happen. 

Come along and learn more about the foundations of the curriculum your children are experiencing. You will hear more about our WBS 'journey' to this place, the fundamentals of the programme and get to have a taste of the types of learning the teachers have done in order to teach the children. 

Added bonus - a good chance to meet other whānau too.

No comments:

Post a Comment