Pages

Monday 7 June 2021

Art and Maths


'Many mathematicians draw upon Art and many artists draw upon Mathematics'.  says Jo Boaler (Maths Professor at Stanford University). We know that there is lots of beauty in Maths. 

We have been dialling up the Character Strength of Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence. 

VIA, Institute of Character: "Those who express an appreciation of beauty & excellence notice and appreciate beauty, excellence and/or skilled performance in all domains of life, from nature to art to mathematics to science to everyday experience".

Here are some examples of what we have been doing: 



We wrote down a group numbers. Using squared paper, we started somewhere in the middle. We took each of the numbers in turn to tell us how long to draw the line and turn a right angle to the left after we drew each line.



Rotational Symmetry Art

The students created a simple drawing on 1/8 of their circle, then they transferred their drawing into all 8 parts of their circle. What a great way to learn about rotational symmetry, fractions and angles. 





7 comments:

  1. I love the art!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, people. The colours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors in the one with the Avocado! I think they really fit the style. It looks really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fun. Art AND Math together! I hope you guys ad fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been doing tons of great geometric art! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked making these pieces of art for maths because it is really fun! - you get to do art for maths!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved doing that art it was so easy once you got the hang of it and I didn't want to stop but sadly I had to but if I didn't have to I would have kept going until I wanted to stop.

    ReplyDelete