Pages

Wednesday 15 March 2023

Mapping the School - Enviroschools

 Building on the work we have been doing in measurement our Maths for the last few days has been centred around trying to accurately map the school. No mean feat! We have been estimating distance and dimensions, noticing the actual size and shape of things and identifying the parts of the school important to us. 

                                   A couple of examples of fine maps.

We are working with Chloe our Enviroschools educator, looking more closely at the natural environments within the school.  Students were invited to connect to an Atua, an idea to help notice and connect them to the Taiao or environment. We are thinking about Tane and Tangaroa for our project in The Arts too.  More on this later. 



Ethan Q: My special place is the fairy garden. It is a relaxing place and I enjoy it. The breeze is as nice as a little fan and as cool as an ice block. I chose a rock on the ground in the fairy garden because it reminds me of a calm gentle forest. The fairy garden is a relaxing place and we play camouflage there.



Fabian: My special place at this school is the pizza oven and I chose a rock because on the floor of the pizza oven there are lots of rocks there. It is also very fun to play around there (when there is no fire going) there are also trees close so you can climb them if you are waiting for your pizza. It is also really nice there.





Zor: I like climbing a tree at school because first of all trees are a part of nature. I also love to climb trees, but in New Zealand, I find it harder to climb. I want to get better at climbing trees. Trees are fun and sometimes when you don’t know what to do try climbing up a tree it’s relaxing. Sometimes it’s better to relax and enjoy it. I like to climb trees because you can see lots of things and it’s a wonderful view.


No comments:

Post a Comment