Pages

Friday 15 February 2019

Global Play Day 2019

Today we took part in Global Play Day. 

In 2019, 535,690 from 72 nations played. In his TEDx lecture, Peter Gray clearly argues the case that today's kids do not grow up playing and this has negatively impacted them in many ways. It's time we return the gift of play to this generation.

Students were given the provocations:
  • Playing is serious business!
  • Play without rules is war!
  • I get to choose who and what I am when l play.
This morning we put ourselves on a continuum. We were asked the provocation, "Playing is a serious business!"

We were amazed with what the kids came up with...



Yoichi: Play without rules is war depending on the game. play day was fun.

Hanna: I had a fun time on Friday. I wish we could have play day every day. We had so much fun.

Nikora: I don’t really think playing is serious business because games are usually make believe. It depends what game you're playing but playing without rules is not usually bad. I think if you are playing a game that is make believe you can be whatever you want.

Nye: I don’t think that playing is serious because you are usually imagining so nothing seems serious it seems more like fun.

Izar: I played with Toby (the teddy bear) and got him really dirty. I played cops and robbers. I did a walk & talk ( it is when we just walk & talk.)

Nuala: I made a fort with my friends then it fell on us. We made a wolf den and played wolves. Nicola pretended to be a squirrel and Molly, the wolf, chased her. Then she tried to hide in a fort that she found. She didn't fit properly then she discovered that she was in the wolf den and was surrounded by all of the wolves.

Evie: I learnt how to share my toys and other people learnt how to share their toys back.

Eva: Today was a fun day because I played the whole day. I had a good time playing with the pickles and some others. We played Mafia, ditches and cops and robbers. I was surprised that our friend group actually dressed up as boys! There was something interesting about the day and that was that I kind of missed learning things in a normal way.

Kate: I was surprised with all the different games that people played.

10 comments:

  1. I really like the way that everyone was so creative with their play. Maybe we should play every day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The global play day looks like a lot of fun!! I wish I was there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so cool how these people are collaborating,being creative,listening to each other and working together in their play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was a great vid, we should have global play day every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like how different people worked together

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really like the video because we are all in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was really good to see different people playing with each other I hope we can do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how everyone was so creative and made there own game and made their toys: as all types of things even if they weren't like they made their toys. monsters that would take over the world even if they were unicorns! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how everyone was so creative and made there own game and made their toys: as all types of things even if they weren't like they made their toys. monsters that would take over the world even if they were unicorns! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WILLIAM:I did have fun on play day but I don't think I can make it through playing every day we have to do some maths.

    ReplyDelete