Pages

Saturday 14 September 2019

Orange Day Parade 2019: He Rā Karaka pai!

What a fantastic Rā Karaka / Orange Day we had this year. Fulfilling our Road Patrol duties gives us a great sense of Positive Purpose every day. That's why we marched so loudly and proudly from Parliament to the Michael Fowler Centre. This was the New Zealand Police and Wellington City Council's way of saying thanks to all of Wellington's student road patrollers. We enjoyed a strong sense of Positive Accomplishment. 



"I am grateful that I had such a fun time at Orange Day Parade" - Olivia C

"I had fun when we went out for Orange Day Parade because we walked about 2km, which is a long way!" - Cameron J

"I’m grateful for being able to go to the orange day parade and have lots of fun" - Sammy C



Our banner read "Rā Karaka (Orange Day)" and "Tūtei whakawhiti huarahi (crossing the road safely)" in honour of Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori. 


We showed that size doesn't matter - we were among the loudest groups and we chanted the entire time. Tau kē!

"I had fun when I kept on yelling '2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate? Not the king, not the Queen but the Worser Bay Patrol Team!" - Avery D






We made sure to give thanks and high-fives to every Police Officer we saw. A great chance to show some gratitude to them for doing a great job keeping us safe. 

"I am inspired by the police and how much time they put in to Road Patrol. I had fun at the parade and enjoyed listening to the people singing" - Eva S


 "I am inspired by everyone that does Road Patrol" - Pippa S

"🧡ORANGE DAY PARADE🧡 was awesome, and I almost lost my voice doing chanting. I’m a bit sad that we did not get to show a talent or win a prize, I felt that Worser Bay was forgotten, I hope it goes better next year. " - Gina L



Bonus - we got to meet our Mayor, Justin Lester. He explained that his Mayoral chains are the same ones you can see former Wellington Mayor Michael Fowler wearing in the big portrait outside the auditorium. Ngā mihi nui ki a Justin!



"I am grateful that we have Road Patrol so we don't get run over by cars" - Caleb W

No comments:

Post a Comment