Pages

Saturday 1 August 2020

Childhood Tracks Poems

For our annual Art Celebration, Māhutonga Matariki will be showcasing poetry, short plays and artwork. Growing up, using the metaphor of the Hero's Journey from childhood to adulthood, will feed into the celebration. 

We have been busy preparing poetry. We looked at the poem, "Childhood Tracks" by James Berry. We used his poem as a model to create our own poems. 

We are enjoying sharing our writing with our class mates. 

-MY- Childhood Tracks By Evan


Eating beautiful big bananas with the classic custard 
Eating fresh fried dish with cheeky chips charging down my throat 
Eating the tender flavour of meat, cheese and burger 
Drinking dripping tea, smoke smoothly sitting in the air 

Feeling my feet tracking through a frost filled fantasy 
Feeling feline fur touching my ticklish feet 
Feeling the ball leaving my foots lair 
Feeling my fingers caving in on the keyboard 
Hearing birds bringing berries from bushes 
Hearing pens doing colossal clicks 
Hearing music magically making me happy 
Hearing talking teachers teaching different subjects 

Seeing tagged taggers touching other players 
Seeing my friends happy dial sinking slowly 
Seeing myself bleed blindly 
Seeing myself flipping through pages, 
words bouncing from book to eye

My childhood by Darragh 

I feel the wind of Wellington brush past my face. 
I hear the seagulls squawk until they can't anymore. 
I see the view of Wellington from my house. 
I see the pigeons flee as buses rumble past. 
I smell the fish and chips as we drive past the shop. 
I hear the water crash on the beach as people go swimming. 
I see pohutukawa dance in the wind. 
I smell the smoke from fires and factories, 
(I imagine volcanoes inside). 
I LOVE WELLINGTON!!!

Childhood Tracks by Coco

Smelling the soft scent of the Spring flowers 
Smelling the grass after a Spring hair cut 
Smelling the cool breeze as it passes my nose 
Smelling supper, warm and yummy 
Seeing a beach ball bounce along the beach 
Seeing my ice cream run down my wrist 
Hearing the golden brown leaves crunch beneath my feet 
Hearing the acorns fall off the trees 
Hearing the snow crackle under my feet

Childhood Tracks by Sam M

Hearing classmates chat as I write an idea pop on the page. 
Hearing faint sounds of crashing waves in the distance. 
Hearing silence when I learn and noise when I play. 

Feeling the hard wooden pencil in hand as I write a poem. 
Feeling the hard firm floor below me. 
Feeling the road petrol sign as it glides forward and back. 
Feeling piano key whack down as they make echoing sounds, 
some quiet, some loud. 
Feeling my fishing rod in hand as the fishing line twirls through the water. 

Tasting freshly made pizza out of the hard stone pizza oven. 
Tasting fresh coconut filled with fresh creamy waters. 
Tasting cannelloni with gooey cheese on top, 
spinach and sour cream on the inside. 
Tasting burger filled with fish and a drizzle of mayonnaise. 

Seeing kea rip apart apples on the front deck. 
Seeing trees fly past as I go whizzing down a zip line. 
Seeing my friends have fun as we play ultimate tag. 
Seeing my avocado plant grow and enlarge.

Childhood track by Jasmine
 
The smell of salty water, 
tickling my feet. 
Jumping the waves, 
ongoing burning my feet. 
Sea water stinging my eyes, 
as I dive under. 
Sand tickling in between my toes, 
as I race along the beach. 
Crunching sea shells along the beach, 
trying to find the perfect one. 
Hiding in the water, 
refusing to leave.

Childhood Poem by Luca M

Eating Mcdonald burgers 
A triple cheese burger 
Just meat and cheese 
I don’t even have tomato sauce 
No pickles 
No lettuce 
I am a meat and cheese burger boy 

Smelling flowers as I use the hand sanitiser 
That melts like water in my hand 
Smelling nature 
As I feel the wind brush through my hair 

Hearing an bird chirping 
And it is like a screaming man 
I know it is noisy and I said what are you doing in my swamp 

Seeing my puppy Daisy 
Playing with her toy 
She is very cute to watch.

My childhood poem by Sophie

Eating lollies after my mum or dad went to the supermarket. 
Eating breakfast with my sister right after we got out of bed and put the tv on. 

Drinking lemonade and juice mixed together on the hot summer days. 
Drinking hot chocolate after dinner before I go to bed on the cold cold winter nights. 

Seeing kiwis sniff the ground at dawn. 
Seeing my kittens play fight with each other. 

Feeling my kittens super soft fur right before I pick my kittens up for a great big single. 
Feeling the wind blow past my face while my kittens run after each other. 

Smelling the blooming flowers as I walk. 
Smelling my mum’s and dad’s homemade food when me and my sister play together.


Childhood Tracks by Mastani 

Driving through the calm neighbourhood,
With full equipment in the trunk.
Hearing the crunch snow under our heavy boots
Feeling the frost of the frozen winter air.
Walking past the snow covered park, the scent of hot chocolate floating in the air.
And warming up in the main building
Tightening our skates
Clicking our helmets on
Putting on extra warm layers
Ready to skate until our jaws are half frozen.
Opening the heavy door
The cold wind cooling my cheeks
Stepping on the ice ring,
Hearing the clatter of hockey sticks against each other
The cool air blowing through the leaf-less branches
Stinging our excited eyes.
Twisting, Twirling,
Adding our own signature on the ice.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I really enjoyed you sharing your ideas through poems. I can see that you are all using so many amazing writing tools like interesting vocabulary, alliteration and activating nouns to make the ideas come alive on the page. They definitely do! You are able to tap the senses of the reader and I feel like I can see and hear what you do. Ka rawe tō mahi, koutou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the poetry that you've come up with - there is some AMAZING creative details. We'll use this in class this coming week and leave you some feedback after we've worked on them.
    Mr Webb and Room One, Auroa Primary School.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a super job of writing poems using your senses. I was unfamiliar with "Childhood Tracks" by James Berry but just checked it out there. What a great poem. Your modelling of poems on James Berry's was well done everyone. There was a flurry of sights, sounds, smells, tastes and touches in all of them. Your enjoyment of your work also came across. What a good outcome. Well done everyone all the way from Ireland.

    ReplyDelete