Fractions of Quantities
We have been learning about fractions. Here are some things for you to try out and practise at home...
1. In an orchard 1/5 of the trees need pruning. There are 65 trees, how many need pruning?
2. 1/3 of people surveyed voted ‘yes’ in the referendum. If 42 people were surveyed how many voted yes?
3. I have eaten 1/7 of the cakes in the box, if were 21 chocolates:
a) How many have I eaten?
b) How many are left?
4. 4/5 of the tickets for a Katy Perry concert have been sold. If there are 2000 tickets how many have been sold?
5. In a room 2/3 of the people are male. If there are 60 people in the room how many:
b) women are there?
6. A shop sold 2/3 of all their newspapers one morning. The rest they returned.
If they had 360 papers.
a) How many did they sell?
b) How many did they return?
7. In a car park 4/7 of the cars are silver. There are 700 cars in the car park.
How many are NOT silver?
8. If 9/10 of cats prefer Felix of the 500 surveyed how many do NOT prefer Felix?
Now for a really tricky one!
9. 1/3 of the people in a room are under 20. If there are 15 under 20s how many over 20s are there?
10. 4/5 of Dek computers are faulty. If the company has to repair 8000 one year how many did they sell?