Pages

Sunday 1 November 2020

I am Powerful: Why is Grit so Important?

 

Grit at Bootcamp


This term our learner attribute focus is "I am Powerful." We have been unpacking what it means to be powerful. Grit is a huge part of this. Psychologist and researcher, Angela Duckworth defines Grit as "passion and perseverance for long-term and meaningful goals." It is the ability to persist in something you feel passionate about and persevere when you face obstacles. It is about being able to stick with something even when things get challenging!
Grit is a combination of Persistence and Resilience. Persistence means you keep going, even when the going gets tough. Resilience is toughness. When you get knocked down, you get back up and carry on.

Molly: A time that I used Grit was when I was learning how to do netball. Every Monday for practise I was scared that I was going to get hurt by the ball. I did got hit 3 or maybe 5 times but I always got back up. I then helped my team score a goal and we won the games.

Leo: If learning is too easy then you won't learn. This is because if it is much too easy then what is the point of trying again. You need to toughen up and persevere.

Chris: The time I used Grit was when I doing my StepsWeb and I was on drop. I had finished it three times but there was a glitch in it so it kept logging me out every time I finished. So I used Grit to do it. The glitch stopped and I finish drop.

James: Persistence is when things get tough and and you keep going. An example is video games. When you are stuck on a level you might be on it for hours. It might be hard for a bit but over time you get better and better and better.

Olive: I used Grit when I was first learning to ride a bike without training wheels. I had keep on trying. It wasn't until the last home stretch that I plucked up my courage and gave it another try and I did it.

Nye: Persistence is showing the need to do. You don't get distracted, you focus on your task, and you stay all round stubborn. This is vital, as otherwise you'll never get anything done! Resilience is to jump back up when you get pushed down. You learn from your mistakes, and decide what you can do differently and how you can fix them.

Ocean: A time that I used grit was when I rode my bike for the first time. I was so scared but I got on my bike and my dad pushed me. I pushed the pedals and then dad let go. I was riding my bike but then I fell off and got a big cut. Then I got back on and tried again and that's how I used GRIT!!

Zac: I have picked myself off the ground when generating ideas which was really hard but with the help of Grit I managed to persevere and carry on with my day.

Grit at Kapa Haka

1 comment:

  1. I love this post guys. You have all experienced what it feels like to have to bounce back. There is amazing wisdom here. I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete